Low Intensity Laser Therapy
Health care faces a number of serious problems, which create a demand for new solutions. Effective treatment is still unavailable for many illnesses, and many of today's treatment methods have serious side effects and high health care costs. A new and effective treatment of soft tissue injuries, pain, arthritis, and certain other conditions has been developed during the last two decades. This technique is called Low Intensity Laser Therapy (LILT).
LILT is a phototherapuetic (uses light emissions) non-invasive method utilizing irradiation with both red and infrared light sources. Irradiation of cells at certain wavelengths can activate some of the cell's components. For example, cellular metabolism can be affected by a sequence of bio-mechanical reactions at the molecular and cellular levels as a result of LILT.
LILT is the use of monochromatic light emission from a low intensity laser diode (250 milliwatts or less) or an array of high intensity Super Luminous Diodes (providing total optical power in the 1000-2000 milliwatt range) to treat musculoskeletal injuries, chronic or degenerative conditions, and to heal wounds. The light source is placed in contact with skin, allowing the photon energy to penetrate tissue, where it interacts with various intracellular biomolecules resulting in the restoration of normal cell function and enhancement of the body's healing process.
Laser therapy acts by converting light energy into biomechanical energy, resulting in normal cell function, which causes the symptoms to disappear. Aside from the elimination of inflammation, ablation of scar tissue and osteophytes, there is no doubt that clinically cartilaginous regeneration occurs.
LILT is being used by therapists (to treat a variety of acute and chronic musculoskeletal pathologies), by dentists (to treat inflamed oral tissues, and to heal diverse ulcerations), dermatologists (to treat edema, ulcers, burns, dermatitis), rheumatologists (relief of pain, treatment of chronic inflammation and immune diseases), in sports medicine and rehabilitation clinics (to reduce swelling and hematoma, relieve pain and improve mobility) and by other specialists as well as general practitioners.
The effectiveness of LILT is repeatedly evidenced by international research, while at the same time no harmful side effects or damaging effects have been described. Also, the patients who respond most successfully to LILT are those who had minimal benefit from standard medical practice.
Physiological Effects Of LILT
SHORT TERM EFFECTS
* Production and release of beta-endorphins (these are morphine like substances produced by various cells in the body that inhibit the sensation of pain)
* Cortisol production is increased (corticol os the precursor of cortisone). This enables the body to combat the stress associated with trauma or the disease process.
* The short term effect is significant in 5-10% of casesduring or after the conclusion of the initial treatment, but not as important as the long-term or cumulative effect.
LONG TERM OR CUMULATIVE EFFECTS
* ATP (adenosine triphosphate) production is increased, resulting in improved cellular metabolism.
* DNA (deoxyribonucleicacid) production, the protein building block of tissue is substantially increased.
* Neurotransmission is facilitated due to elevated levels of serotonin and aceytylecholine.
* Mitochondrial activity is stimulated, resulting in cell replication.
* Modulation of macrophages, fibroblasts, and other cells.
* Angiogenesis (formation of new blood vessels).
* Regulates cell membrane potential, essential in Na, CL and K ion transfer.
* Cytokines and other chemicals enhancing the cellular communications are released.
* The immune response is stimulated.
* Lymphatic drainage is improved.
* The histamine response is positively altered.
* Production of growth hormone is increased.
* Stimulation of the healing process is accompanied by relief of symptoms.
It should be noted that many other positive physiological activities are modulated and extensive research is currently in progress to fully explore these changes.
LILT and Bioflex Laser in particular, is the safest and most effective way to eliminate pain. It doesn't just treat the symptoms, it heals the cells. Regardless of age or how long a condition has been present, if it is soft tissue in nature (muscle, tendon, ligament, nerve, blood vessels), you have better than 80% probability that you will feel better.